Thursday, May 23, 2013

Am I? Say It Isn't So!

For some reason mothers and daughters like to drive each other crazy.
It's a part of life.
 
via
As a daughter you spend your entire time until the age of 18 trying to make sense of your mother's ways.
Why does she say, think or feel that way? Why is she so overprotective, controlling and embarrassing? Sometimes laughing, sometimes crying and sometimes in her own little universe that you feel like you will never get through to her.
Let's face it, you really never understand how your mother felt until you have one of your own.
Like me you will give birth to your child and have that aha moment!
 
 
Nowwww that's why she didn't let me go on that date, spend the night at a friends house or let me wear that revealing outfit.
You too start to pry for information, hug and kiss them in front of their friends and sit and stare at them with the cheesiest of grins.
It's called love my friends. It's like your heart is walking around outside of your body.
Just admit it, you have become your mother. Gasp! I know right! It just couldn't be!
 
 
It's not that you are your mother but a mother.
All mothers are pretty much are grouped into one category.
We share the same love, compassion and happiness when it comes to parenting.
We give 110% each and every day to provide all things for our children.
Showing them how much we care and love them by the activities we participate in. By staying close to them.
We must listen to our children, hear what they are saying, let them talk don't talk for them and build their confidence. We shouldn't judge them. We have to be their guide. Show them how to grow into a responsible and respectful adult.
 
 
It comes at no surprise that we grow up and become exactly like our mother's. We spent 18 years of our life soaking in their mannerisms, phrases and personality. We have all promised ourselves that we would NEVER become like them. How horrible we would say to ourselves.
When you think about it, is it really that bad to become like them?
If we focus on how much time they dedicated to us our opinion changes rather quickly.
 
 
I know almost everyday I repeat something my mother has said to me when I am speaking to Madison. I have covered my mouth and thought to myself "omg I know that didn't just say that." I am sure you have been there right? Blurted something out to your child, student or family member and thought wow I am just like my mom.
 
 
The following phrases are ones I have found to be quite laughable. I say them and then I throw myself back slapping my forehead saying "I did it again."
 
"Don't pick that scab, it will get infected"
"Am I talking to a brick wall?"
"As long as you live under this roof, you will do as I say"
"Do you think I am made of money"
"Don't run in the house"
"If you don't stop crying I will give you something to cry about"
"Don't BUT me, the answer is NO"
and the list goes on and on....
 
You get the drift. The ever so famous mom phrases. If your mom has said it you have or will repeat the same things. You will cringe and then slowly but surely you will begin to realize that the tough love you received, it was for all of the right reasons.
We will then begin to realize why our mother's protected us so much, hovered and didn't want to see us leave the home each day.
 
 
May is the month for moms and I believe that Mother's Day shouldn't be the only day to show gratitude and appreciation for her. Like my mother, they hold a special place in our hearts. We often shed tears (good ones) over all of the wonderful times we have had. We start to realize that while we are getting old they too are getting old as well.
Instead of shrinking in horror every time my tone and phrases match my mother's, I will smile instead because if I grow into half the woman and mother she is it will be an honor.
 
 
Hug your mom, kiss her, let her know how much she is appreciated because if you are parent, guardian or in a kids life and they did that for you it would be one of the greatest days of your life.
Never take each other for granted, you never know when that might be the last moment you spend with them.
 
 
Love and never stop loving.
 
via
**In loving memory of the victims of the Oklahoma tornado**


1 comment:

  1. This was sooooo beautiful and oh so true! Being a mother has been the most rewarding thing in the world and becoming a mom has changed my outlook on my own childhood. So thankful I was raised by such an amazing woman and I hope my children feel the same way! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and love everyone of your comments. They mean so much to me! Take the time to leave a comment and follow my blog. I will follow you back!