Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Leap Of Faith

It seems like almost daily I find myself daydreaming about another career other than mine. The typical coulda, woulda shoulda's....ya know thinking about how different your life would have been if you would have taken another path. When I completed high school, I really didn’t have a career that I really wanted to go after at the time. I chose to stick it out with my part time job until I found a better one and skipped college. Do I regret this, no. Some people think you HAVE to go to college. This is an opinion and if that is your belief, more power to you. I had a different opinion. Why go to college, start studying for a degree that I wasn’t all that interested in just to get a good paying job. To me it isn’t about the money, it’s about my happiness. I have been lucky enough to find two great jobs since my waitress days and have been at my current place of employment for 8 years.

via
My dream job has always been, since I can remember, to become a photographer. I take a million pictures. I love to see all of the photographs and reminisce about all of the memories during those times. Most of my friends call me the personal paparazzi because I am constantly getting friends together for quick shots, snapping group photos of our events we throw and of course my billion and one takes of my little love bug.

via
I think I chicken out too soon instead of jumping into something. I have that personality where if it is not guaranteed I don’t want it. I am not a risk taker. I scare myself into thinking I will only fail. That time, money and effort will be all for nothing. Even as I sit and think about becoming a photographer, all I can imagine is working for someone else. Not having all of it laying on my shoulders if I succeed or fail. I tend to take the easy way out. Which in my eyes is a regret but a habit that seems to keep happening.
via
I’ve heard over and over that you should love what you do. That work wouldn’t feel so much like work if you loved what you did each day. At the age of 28, yes I have done well for myself. I have a decent job, I own a house, I have a wonderful family but there has always been something missing. I believe that you can have happiness in all aspects of your life. It is what you make it.

via
I keep telling myself to just make the change and go after your dreams. Start small and work your way up. I have had millions of pep talks, trust me.

Among photography I always thought about running an in-home daycare so I could stay at home with Madison or if I ever had another child. I thought about working at a small bakery making those little Pinterest worthy treats. I thought about packing up everything and moving to an entirely different state, starting over and beginning the life I felt like I was meant to have. Almost every day these thoughts run through my mind. Time is ticking. What are you waiting for? Why not become a risk taker and say what the hell? I hear of friends and family quitting their jobs, changing careers altogether or making a life altering change and I think why can’t that be me?

Do you have this issue? Is there something you want so badly but cannot push yourself to make the change? Are you at a job that pays the bills but doesn’t fulfill that part of your heart and soul?

Or have you taken the leap of faith? How did it turn out?

**If you are in the photographer, baker or an in-home daycare who has advice or tips please email me! Or if you have a job opening I just might have a smoking hot resume ready for you 






3 comments:

  1. IUPUI has continuing education class in photography. They have many different classes and even one on starting your own photography business. Maybe a class would help you decide if you really want to pursue it as a career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting this blog, took a huge leap of faith for me! Putting myself out there for anyone to see. It was hard, but something I knew I had to do because I had a passion for writing and to tell me story. Since I have been blogging, my career, which I've had for nearly 15 years, doesn't seem as fulfilling. So, in August I will be reducing my work days to 3 each week. This will be a huge financial change for us, but I already know that it will be worth it. Changes are hard, but being less than satisfied with life is harder. You can do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I went to college and got a degree in something I love. But it's basically a worthless degree unless you go to grad school or into teaching and even then it can still be hard to find a job. I had a job offer after grad school but turned it down and followed my now husband across the country for his job. Did it work out exactly how I'd hoped? No. But, if I had chosen the other path, then I wouldn't be where I am today.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and love everyone of your comments. They mean so much to me! Take the time to leave a comment and follow my blog. I will follow you back!